“On the Sidewalk Bleeding” by Evan Hunter
1. Who is the protagonist?
2. What is/are the conflict(s)?
3. What effect does Andy’s jacket
have on the people who find him in the alley?
4. What are the reasons why these people do not help Andy?
5. At what point does Andy realize he is dying?
What does Andy do with the last of his strength? How is this important to the theme
and to the outcome of the conflict?
7. What is the climax or turning point?
8. What is the police officer’s reaction to Andy? How does this contribute to the
9. At certain times, most people wonder “Who am I?” What did Andy conclude in
answer to that question?
10. How do you feel about Andy? Do you feel
he got what he deserved?
Credit (10 pts): On the back, write
a well-organized paragraph explaining why teens like Andy choose to be involved in a gang like the Royals? Justify/Explain